Monday, May 12, 2008

Another PR!

I finally got my butt in gear this weekend and with a little bullying from my running partner, Lisa - I ran 11 miles on Saturday. Yay! We found a new route which was a nice change of scenary but it had a lot of hills. I felt awful for the first 3 miles of the run and if it weren't for Lisa trotting along next to me, I would probably have just turned around. Once I hit the 4 mile mark it was as if 10lbs were lifted off my shoulders and I felt loose and ready to rock. I'm not sure how long it took us because I forget to check the time before we headed out, but I'd say we probably ran 10 minute miles...which isn't too bad.

When I got home from the run I checked the mailbox and guess what had arrived? My first issue of Runner's World that my favorite sister got me. : ) Thanks, Amy! I sat on the floor, stretched, and read the thing cover to cover. I've never been so excited and pumped about running before. I'm fully motivated and ready for my 1/2 marathon in...say it with me....SIX DAYS! My original goal was to finish. Now that I've improved quite a bit this last month I'm setting myselt a time goal as well - 2 hours.

This week my plan for tapering will be to ride the bike for a few miles tonight at the gym. Drink as much water as I can stomach this week and Wednesday or Thursday run 5 miles. That'll be it! I need to change my thought process this week about food though...I have to remember I'm not a calorie burning machine right now and can't eat everything I see. Darn. : ) Almost makes me excited about starting to train again after the marathon so I can eat without guilt again. Gotta love it.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yeah, I am the same way Jillian. On my long days, I kind eat whatever I want...within reason of course. Good work on the PR. You are going to do great in your half this weekend.

Alissa said...

Hi Jillian. Just found your blog. I love reading about different people's running experiences. Good luck with your race! And don't worry about the calories the week before the race. If you cut back, you could jeopardize your endurance on race day.