Thursday, April 17, 2008

The beginning...

I've never been good at keeping track of anything. Organization and details have never been a strong point. Let's see if this blog will help change that. My sister informed me today that I should really be keeping track of my mileage...so here goes nothing. If the mileage box in my blog doesn't move for a few days - dont' worry...I haven't died of shin splints...I'm just too lazy.

So far the training process has been going fairly well. Better than I expected actually. I've never been a runner - I fully believed that one should only run when chased. I started out in February by running a 1/2 mile on the treadmill...which was as far as I could go before feeling slightly at risk of a heart attack..yes, I'm only 23. I've since progressed to where 5 miles is actually comfortable. Never thought that would be possible. My longest run was on Monday of this week at 8.5 miles. I am hoping that by next week I will be able to report a 10 miler. I am running in the Green Bay, WI half marathon on May 18 and the Grand Rapids, MI full marathon on October 19...so I have some work to do - and quickly. I'm slightly concerned about the half marathon but I'm confident that at this point I will at least be able to finish in the vertical position - which is good enough for me.

I should run tonight but instead I'm going out. I have a volleyball game at 6 though so that will give me a little excerise. (We're in the "D League" though so running is optional) A seasonal bar/restaurant that sits right on the water opens tonight and it's a pretty big deal in this small town - so that is where I will conclude my evening. Running starts again tomorrow evening...6 miles is the goal.

2 comments:

Amy said...

yea! you did it! you're in the cool club now!

Have fun out and about tonight.

*jen* said...

Dang girl, you are kicking butt! I started running in Feb as well and my longest distance is only 6. Congrats on your 8.5, that's awesome! Have a great weekend.