Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I DID IT!

10 mile day! I wasted half of my work day yesterday on mapmyrun.com trying to find a good route where I could run 5 miles out and have to run the remaining 5 back - forcing myself not to chicken out. A guy I work with suggested a beautiful road where my in-laws own a house.


I got myself all worked up and anxious all day - I was so nervous. On my way home from work I stopped at Radio Shack to get some new headphones - which I thanked myself numerous time throughout the run. My oldies were starting to short out on the left side and it drove me crazy. I got some sony ones that wrap around your ear - highly suggest, they are awesome.

So - the run. I first drove it so that I knew where I was going and mentally noted where each mile was. I threw out a water bottle at the 2 mile mark. When I was driving I noticed a guy on a bike with a bright orange hat. Oh great - should I be wearing orange? It is turkey hunting right now and this area is total fields. I called Todd and asked him since he used to live at the farm house that I started at and he said I'd be OK as long as I wasn't wearing a brown shirt with feathers. That shirt was dirty so I was wearing my fav nike running shirt. Good thing! A minute later Craig called to see if I had started or if I backed out. I proudly told him I was just about to start. He suggested taking my cell with me just in case it got dark and I needed help. I stashed it in the back of my sports bra - since my car key and an extra battery were in the front. I looked ridiculous but I was fully prepared. The first mile my heart was beating so hard because I had gotten myself so worked up and excited about it. Once I got to my water bottle I took a big swig and kept on moving. I didn't feel good at this point - at all. In fact, it was not much further when a truck and open trailer drove past - I considering jumping in. I didn't care where he was going as long as it meant I could stop moving. At mile number 3 I was so sweaty my cell phone almost fell out forcing me to put it in the front - I had a large lumpy tri-boob thing going on but I didn't care. I managed to get to the end of the 5 mile trek and start back. I picked up the speed on the way back to make sure I finished before dark. Around mile number 8 I started to lose my mind. I was so bored. I managed to get through that mile and on to number 9 which I think I literally said every swear word 8 times. When I finally made it to the end and started walking - it was the most bizare feeling. I felt like I had prosthetic (sp?) legs. My knees were so tight but wouldn't stop moving....craziness. I finished the 10 miles in an hour and half - which to my suprise is 10 minute miles. When I'm on the treadmill I run 11 and 12 minute miles so this was huge for me. Yay - so now today I can barely walk but I'm so proud of myself it's OK. Today is storming out so I declare it as my rest day. Tomorrow I'm running with a friend of mine - which is scary. I've only ever run by myself. I'll survive though. Yay for finishing my 10 though - who would have thought?!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah!!! You are the coolest girl ever! I like the headphones that wrap around your ear too. I borrowed some from Steve's Marty one day and haven't given them back yet. I really need to. The poor guy loves to rollerblade and doesn't have headphones right now. Plus he just got laid off, so all he can do is rollerblade and doesn't even have a paycheck to go buy new ones. I'm horrible.

Chris said...

Fantastic! 10 miles is a lot so good job. I think a rest day is warranted after such a long run. Maybe you need some sort of pack to were around your waist for all that stuff.

Rachel said...

Great job! You should look at getting a Nike shoe wallet...they do make some that are big enough to hold a cell phone as well...or a cell phone arm band. They are relatively cheap...

*jen* said...

Congrats, that's awesome! This post cracked me up!